No individual department in any hotel can work in isolation. The housekeeping department is just one of the departments in a hotel working towards the satisfaction of the guests, each department is dependent on others for information and services if its work is to be accomplished effectively.
Coordination With Front Office.
- To ensure efficient rooming of guests, both housekeeping and the front office must inform each other of changes in a room’s status. Knowing whether a room is occupied, vacant, on change, out of order (OOO), under repair, or similar for proper room management
- There should be coordination to clean front office public areas
- There must be coordination between the housekeeping and the front office department to share information on occupancy levels which helps to forecast occupancy for the year and makes it easier to draw up a budget, establish par stock levels and estimate required staff strength.
- There should be coordination know about the daily room report and housekeeping discrepancy report.
- It also helps to gear renovations and spring cleaning to low occupancy periods thereby preventing loss of revenue.
- The housekeeping and front office department also coordinate with each other for other important information which requires special attention like
- VIPs in the house: this information is essential so that the staff can take a little extra care and keener precautions in cleaning and supervising VIP rooms.
- Groups in the house: the group rooming list must be provided before the group’s arrival to the housekeeping as groups tend to move together in terms of arrival, departure, sightseeing tours, and meals. Their rooms need to be readied together in view of strict time parameters. Group rooming lists enable the housekeeping department to organize their work and have the group’s room ready on time.
- Crews in the house: Sometimes the arrival of a crew and the departure of another crew from the same airline may overlap. In such circumstances, it is important for the allotted rooms to be cleaned within a short period of time. Thus for this, there should be effective coordination between the front office and housekeeping.
- Flowers: sometimes the management extends its compliments to a guest with a special gesture of a flower arrangement in the room as recognition of the importance of a person. This requirement of flower arrangements for certain guests is conveyed to housekeeping by the front office on a daily basis.
Apart from the above communications the front office needs to depend on housekeeping for the provision of clean uniforms to its staff.
Coordination With Food And Beverage Department
- The coordination of housekeeping with the restaurants and banquet halls is mainly concerned with the provision of linen and uniforms.
- On his/her part the restaurant manager should ensure that the time set for the exchange of linen must be maintained and linen should not be lost or misused.
- There should be coordination to maintain a mini bar in guest rooms.
- The housekeeping should be well informed about the forthcoming banquet function in advance so that housekeeping will arrange everything to organize that function.
- Housekeeping may also have to arrange for flower decorations for banquets.
- The coordination between the two departments becomes particularly necessary in the collection of trays from the guest corridors which are collected from the room, placement of fruit baskets in special rooms.
- In many hotels housekeeping also looks after pest control in restaurants, kitchens, and stores attached to them. Special cleaning of these areas calls for coordination with the housekeeping department.
- Both the restaurant and kitchen staff requires clean uniforms on a daily basis, for which too they need to coordinate with housekeeping.
- Coordination with stores ensures the availability of day–to–day necessities of housekeeping.
- Larger hotels have a store attached to the housekeeping department that stocks linen, supplies, and so on.
- Smaller hotels may stock them in the general store, except for linen, which is sent to the housekeeping department on purchase.
- Communication with stores is by way of a requisition form, which housekeeping sends to when it requires certain items. The requisition form is called a store requisition form.
Coordination With Purchase Department
- The purchase department procures out–of–stock items for housekeeping, such as guest supplies and amenities, stationery, linen, cleaning materials, and equipment, etc.
- Housekeeping should convey their requirements to purchase by way of advance notice in the form of a purchase requisition.
Coordination With Personnel Department
- Housekeeping coordinates with the personnel department for the following reason
- Acquisition: human resource planning, recruitment, selection, and induction/ socialization.
- Maintenance: compensation management e.g. pay/ salary, wages, overtime, medical treatment, etc.
- Motivation: performance appraisal system, reward management system, and training and development.
Coordination With Sales And Marketing Department
- There should be effective coordination between the sales and marketing department and housekeeping to supply promotional items in guest rooms and other areas of the hotel.
- The sales and marketing department informs housekeeping of the occupancy forecast for the entire year, which is broken up month-wise. This enables housekeeping to budget for the necessary expenses
- An important contribution of the housekeeping staff to hotel sales is ensuring that repeat business is obtained by providing the level of cleanliness and service that meets or exceeds guest expectations.
- The sales and marketing team also have to depend on housekeeping for their uniforms.
- Two things are certain in the hotel business: no matter how many guests a salesperson brings in the door, if housekeeping does not execute its function with excellence the guests will not be coming back.
- Vice versa, no matter how well- kept the rooms, if the sales staff does not bring potential guests to the hotel, occupancy falls.
Coordination With Maintenance Department
- The housekeeping department depends on maintenance to keep things in order.
- While carrying out their scheduled work, housekeeping employees may find some deficiencies in the hotel facilities, such as faulty electrical plugs, dripping faucets, leaking pipes or malfunctioning air-conditioning units, etc.
- A need for urgent repairs is reported to maintenance over the telephone and these requests are usually taken into action immediately.
- There are various heads under which maintenance work is done they are:
- Electrical work: air conditioning and heating; fused bulbs, lights, and lamps that are not functioning; defective plugs and plug points; short circuits; and faulty geysers, refrigerators, and minibar fall under this category.
- Boiler work: this is necessary to maintain a supply of hot water to the guestroom.
- Mechanical work: this entails the repair or replacement of any faulty equipment, such as vacuum cleaners, ice-cube machines, and so on.
- Plumbing work: this deals with faulty faucets (taps), showers, drainage systems, water closets, and so on.
- Carpentry work: broken of shaky furniture; mirrors and cupboards in less than peak condition, and fresh woodwork are all part of this.
Coordination With Security Department
- The coordination here is mainly concerned with the prevention of fire and thefts and the safekeeping of keys and lost property.
- Housekeeping personnel should also report anything of a suspicious nature or movement in the hotel immediately to the security staff.
- Housekeeping has to coordinate if they see any anti-social activities in the guest room such as gambling, smuggling, and so on.
- The security department is responsible for conducting training sessions on handling emergency situations for the staff. e.g they conduct fire drills to train staff to gear up in a fire emergency.